Monday, July 2, 2012

HI (email from July 2)

First so I don't forget, there is a fireside this Friday the 6th of July. in Anchorage. It's about religious freedom---it'll go over joseph's blessing that his posterity will come to  America, and then Columbus, and then the restoration, and stuff. Anyway, they are gonna webcast it, so anyone can watch it, and gave us permission to tell our families and friends. Personally, I think San Clemente YSA should make a ward activity of it, watching my fireside. HAHAHAHAH just kidding.

and it starts at 6:30 PM but go to the website at 6:15 PM cuz it takes a while for it to get all settled and stuff, apparently. Hahah. I will be in the fireside, playing piano and stuff, and Sister Rivera will be singing. 

The fireside is for missionaries and for anyone else. 


Hee hee. 

We had a really good lesson with The Woman With Two Kids (Who Also Runs a Store), but it was just her and not her Two Kids, but that helped her open up to us a lot more. She's hilarious. Her husband just watched a show about how Moroni is an alien and has his own planet, so she kept being snarky and joking about how we believe in aliens and stuff. The member that we brought with us didn't quite get the humor and so when she looked confused, I said, "Moroni has his own planet. This is serious business," the member just kinda furrowed her brow and said, "Uh-uh." Sigh, oh well. HHAHA, when we taught the three kingdoms of glory, celestial, terrestrial, and telestial, The Woman snickered and said, "Sorry, but after all this talk of aliens, that kinda just sounds like...extra-terrestrial," and she laughed and said, "I know it's not, I know it's not, but you have to admit that's funny." Oh man I just love her. And sigh, the member we brought with us asked, "If I'm not mistaken, there's even three MORE degrees of glory inside the celestial kingdom, right?" Sister Rivera just kinda grunted and looked straight ahead, and I was like, Hoo boy. Deep doctrine stuff, and proceeded to try and explain with the help of the Spirit, really briefly, about that so that The Woman would understand according to her level of knowledge. 

The member is amazing though, really good at inviting The Woman to functions, invited her and her daughter to the Michael Mclane fireside the next night that was just for Young Women and their mothers, and said he and Hank Smith gave a really funny fireside last Sunday, but that at (some other activity) they'd had their CDs out, "So it was kinda like priestcraft, I was talking to my husband about it, and we were trying to figure out if it was priestcraft or not, like they were doing their firesides to sell their CDs, but we think they kept it within the line, they really are quite good speakers.." 

We didn't try and explain what priestcraft was. Maybe if we don't talk about it, The Woman will forget.

The sweet nine-year-old girl (she's actually ten now) that is in the other ward got baptized on Saturday with all the other 8-year-olds in the stake that were getting baptized that day. Very sweet girl. Very good spirit that was felt there. We've just been teaching her with her elders cuz we're girls. So it doesn't count as our baptism, but it isn't about the numbers, it's about one more person making covenants with her Heavenly Father!

We had no time to see the Man In the Store on Saturday so we were gonna drop by (dinner went way late, and the ten-year-old girl's baptism was happening in ten minutes) and poke our heads in the Store and say "Sorry, we didn't forget, can we come next Saturday?" But not only was he in there but his wife, and this was their last day open to the public (they're closing the store, sad, but it's okay) so we got to see her again, and offer our help with packing up all the heavy food storage items and stuff, which she tried to refuse and seemed amaze that we'd offer. THen she told, "I'm glad I saw you guys! I've gotten some insights that I wanna talk to you about!" Which is awesome, she looked happy and peaceful. I wanna know what her insights are! We had to run, though, and went off to the baptism. 

The members here feed us practically every night, and I get some really good food, my word. We just had some banana bread that was made without any wheat, or sugar I believe. It was made with barley...and spelt...and coconut oil...and dates....anyway, it was delicious. 

And they send us home with food a lot. We were even given a can of Tony's cajun seasoning. HECK!

And we went and visited the Chinese member that Sister Chan and I used to see more frequently, sang her How Firm a Foundation, she followed along in her CHinese hymn book, and then she asked us if we had time, she'd like to take us to Wal-mart and buy us whatever groceries we needed (she said that in very thick accent, but if you listen you can totally understand). We were so flabbergasted. She is such a lovely woman. She's funny. So we followed her to wal-mart, we walk inside, and she says, "Okay, whatever you want." Hahha. We were in the cereal aisle...I hadn't eaten cereal for months before the mish and just got back into it when someone gave Sister Chan and I four boxes of cinnamon toast crunch and now i am back to being a cereal addict, so we were in the cereal aisle looking at the cap'n crunch with berries, and the big box is actually cheaper per ounce than the little box, so I pointed that out to Sister RIvera, and the Sister Wong said, "I like family size. YOu like family size. You like it, I buy it. My daughter she always say, NO, mother! But i always like to buy things for her. So I like to buy things for you two." 

This woman is amazing! She bought us $45 worth of groceries and so today, our p-day, we don't have to buy anything at all, except we wanna go to Freddies and get lavender oil, cuz it's apparently a natural mosquito repellent and you smell good too. 

I am so humbled by all the wonderful examples of people I see all around me. I love the members here in Colony Ward and the surrounding wards. I love the people that I meet. I love the Book of Mormon, and i'm now in Exodus in the old testament, and am reading about the Passover. Not a bone of the paschal lamb was to be broken, just like when they came to break Christ's legs on the cross, but didn't once they saw he was dead, not one of his bones would be broken. So many things point to the Atonement of Jesus Christ. All the lives of the prophets testify of Christ---even in what happened to them. LIke Moses almost being killed as a baby, just like King Herod almost killed Christ when he was a baby. Prophets testify of Christ in more ways than just their words. I know the gospel is true, I know the Atonement is real. I know that God loves us, and has given us a way to come back to him. 

TELL YO FRIENDS!

love,
sister ashbrook

p.s. someone should totally find a barnacle (like, not a live one, like the shell) and mail it to me. BECAUSE, it would really help with my barnacle story I got from Brother Greiner to help explain repentance. i will pay them back for the shipping. I like visual aids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment